Monday, March 15, 2010

Here at last - The glorious 15th

It was great to be out after the Trout again after the long and very cold winter lay off - I've been looking forward to this day for weeks.

I saw my first Large Dark Olive at 1200 and caught my first fish of the new season five minutes later - a 14 1/4" (36.5cm) Brownie on the nymph.

Three more olives appeared on the water and I took my second fish of the season, a 16 1/2" (42cm) fish, fifteen minutes after the first and also to the nymph - I wondered if this very slight piece of invertibrate activity had woken these two from there slumber in the hope that there would be more food on offer. Well there wasn't, I didn't see another fly for the rest of the day and didn't get another offer.
But I'm not complaining - I expected a slow start after the coldest winter for 31 years and am more than happy with a couple of fish on opening day.

No comments: